In an age teeming with digital marketing tactics and tools, email marketing stands as an enduring and robust strategy for online schools. With its unparalleled reach and effectiveness, it bolsters student acquisition, enhances student engagement, and stimulates overall business growth. While some critics argue that email has become outdated, studies suggest that it remains one of the most effective ways to reach an audience. As the saying goes, “Email is dead…long live email!”
The two primary methods for utilizing email marketing in online schools are through the use of email sales funnels and by distributing useful educational content via regular mailings. Understanding how to employ these techniques correctly can significantly augment an online school’s success.
Email Sales Funnels
An email sales funnel is a sequence of emails designed to guide potential students through a journey from awareness to enrollment. Here’s how it works:
- a) Awareness: The first step in the sales funnel is making the prospective student aware of your online school. This could be through a welcome email when they sign up for a newsletter or a promotional email showcasing the benefits of your school.
- b) Interest and Evaluation: As potential students begin to show interest, the following emails should provide more in-depth information about the courses you offer. This could include course content, instructor qualifications, and past student testimonials.
- c) Decision: Once potential students have all the necessary information, it’s time to encourage their decision-making. You might send them a comparison between your courses and others in the market, or offer a limited-time discount.
- d) Action: The final stage is where the prospective student is prompted to enroll. This could involve a clear call-to-action, urging the reader to ‘Enroll Now’, along with easy-to-follow instructions for the enrollment process.
Remember that the success of an email sales funnel hinges on the value proposition, personalization, and timing of the emails. Segmentation, A/B testing, and automation can be beneficial in this context.
Mailings with Useful Materials
Another potent strategy is to send regular emails packed with valuable and relevant educational content. This could take the form of blog posts, e-books, video tutorials, case studies, industry news, or even interactive quizzes. By sharing content that is of genuine interest to your target audience, you build credibility and foster a sense of community.
Useful content can help potential students understand the benefits of online learning, overcome any hesitations, and feel more connected to your online school. Furthermore, current students can also benefit from such content, as it enhances their learning experience and encourages their continued engagement with the school.
Why Email Marketing?
Email marketing is an indispensable tool for online schools due to several reasons:
- Reach: Nearly everyone has an email account, making it an effective way to reach a broad audience.
- Cost-Effective: Compared to other marketing channels, email marketing is relatively inexpensive and offers a high return on investment (ROI).
- Personalization: Emails can be personalized based on user behavior, preferences, and past interactions, thereby increasing engagement.
- Measurable: With analytics, you can measure open rates, click-through rates, and conversions, providing clear insights into your campaign’s performance.
Debunking the Myth: Is Email Dead?
Contrary to the notion that ‘no one uses email anymore’, statistics tell a different story. According to the latest research, the number of email users worldwide is over 4 billion, and this number continues to grow. Furthermore, according to a survey by HubSpot, 91% of consumers use email, making it a highly relevant communication channel.
While it’s true that social media and messaging apps have surged in popularity, they have not replaced email. Instead, they’ve become additional channels for communication. Email continues to be a preferred method for professional and formal communication, especially for more comprehensive and detailed content.
In a nutshell, email marketing, when done right, can be a game-changer for online schools. The strategic use of email sales funnels and educational content mailings can help attract, convert, and retain students. However, it’s crucial to keep up with evolving trends, continually test and optimize your campaigns, and always strive to provide value to your audience. And most importantly, let’s not forget, email is far from dead—it’s still thriving and delivering results.